Can a hypochondriac make themselves feel symptoms?
“Many of the symptoms that hypochondriacs feel are often physical sensations caused by anxiety or depression that can go along with hypochondria.
They’re likely to doctor-hop, going from one medical practitioner to another looking for affirmation of their feared illness, only creating more anxiety and frustration.
Can anxiety cause physical symptoms?
Dizziness and lightheadedness are potential symptoms of anxiety. Anxiety can have a significant effect on the body, and long-term anxiety increases the risk of developing chronic physical conditions.
What conditions are mistaken for anxiety?
- Heart disease.
- Thyroid problems, such as hyperthyroidism.
- Respiratory disorders, such as chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and asthma.
- Drug misuse or withdrawal.
- Withdrawal from alcohol, anti-anxiety medications (benzodiazepines) or other medications.
- Chronic pain or irritable bowel syndrome.
How long can anxiety last?
Differences in duration. Anxiety is often related to a specific situation. It tends to build up and continue for some time. A panic attack starts suddenly, symptoms peak after 10 minutes and usually abate after 30 minutes or so, although the effects may last longer.