One study claims it takes around three months (11 weeks to be precise) for a person to feel more positive about their break-up.
As I said, though, heartbreak is not a science.
Personally, it took me six months before I felt ready to move on.
How long does heartbreak last for?
How long heartbreak lasts. After six weeks most people start to adjust to life without their ex, says Durvasula. “It could be a lot quicker, but typically it’s not much longer,” she says.
How do you get over a heartbreak fast?
Here are 6 Ways to Overcome Heartbreak:
- Feel the feelings and don’t force yourself to “just get over it.” Getting over a broken heart can take a lot of energy, work, and time.
- Get the energy out.
- Be honest with yourself.
- Take back your personal power.
- Live an outstanding life.
How do I stop hurting after a break up?
What you can do to help – the traditional suggestions
- Surround yourself with loved ones.
- If there is no-one you feel you can talk to, write it down.
- Be kind to yourself.
- Get active.
- Notice self-criticism.
- Learn how to self soothe.
- Avoid the things that you know make you feel worse.
- Set boundaries.
Will the pain of a breakup go away?
The pain can be relentless but eventually the body chemistry will change back to normal and the hurt will diminish. Getting through a breakup is as much a physical process as an emotional one. Remember that, and know that it will get easier.