Here are a few common defense mechanisms:
- Denial. Denial is one of the most common defense mechanisms.
- Repression. Unsavory thoughts, painful memories, or irrational beliefs can upset you.
- Reaction formation.
What are five common defense mechanisms quizlet?
Terms in this set (6)
- Rationalization. Making an excuse for a mistake/failure.
- Compensation. Covering up faults by trying to excel in other areas.
- Regression. Acting in a childish or immature way.
- Denial. Refusing to recognize reality.
- Displacement. Shifting the feelings about one person onto another.
- Defense mechanisms.
What is the most common defense mechanism?
Denial is one of the most common defense mechanisms. When a situation or fact becomes too much to handle, you may simply refuse to experience it.
What are Freud’s defense mechanisms?
Most notably used by Sigmund Freud in his psychoanalytic theory, a defense mechanism is a tactic developed by the ego to protect against anxiety. 2 Defense mechanisms are thought to safeguard the mind against feelings and thoughts that are too difficult for the conscious mind to cope with.
What are the types of Defence mechanism?
Primitive Defense Mechanisms
- Denial. Denial is the refusal to accept reality or fact, acting as if a painful event, thought or feeling did not exist.
- Acting Out.
- Reaction Formation.